Tri States Marathon
November 8, 2014
Event parking and busing to start from Holiday Inn Express, 1030 W Pioneer Blvd in Mesquite, NV. Finish line is Virgin Valley High School, 820 Valley View Drive in Mesquite. (Busing information subject to change depending on # of racers. We may have to move the bus pickup to the finish line area at the school.)
Friday all day at St George Running Center for anyone who let’s us know in advance that they prefer this option
Friday 7pm-8:30pm and Saturday 5:15am-5:45am at the Holiday Inn Express in Mesquite, NV
Please do your best to pick up Friday night.
Click here for bib number assignments.
Marathon Start Time
See Schedule page.
The Marathon route is a one-way course, mostly downhill. The race starts just short of the summit of “Utah Hill” and is entirely downhill for the first 9 miles miles are in Utah. Then you’ll run 17 miles in Arizona, the first 7 of which gently descend and the next 10 have a few rollers (some fairly steep) as you race towards the Nevada border. Your finish line is Virgin Valley High School in Mesquite. Just ONE turn on the entire route! 26.2 miles. 3 States. 1 extraordinary day! View a map of the route here.
Marathon Entry Fees*
$75 until 7/15
$80 from 7/16-11/01
Entry fees are non-refundable. However, if you must withdraw from a race (due to an emergency or other unforeseen circumstances) please see our Cancellations and Transfers page.
* 25% discount to the first 20 runners who recruit a friend or family member to help at the race. Please see details under the Volunteer tab above.
- 6 hour time limit strictly enforced (required by our permits for traffic control and safety reasons)
- This race is held on an open road, which will be patrolled by AZ police. Runners must run facing traffic, as far to the left as possible, single file when safety requires
- Parking and busing to start line from Holiday Inn Express , and from the finish line back to the Holiday Inn Express (unless otherwise announced)
- Aid stations every 3-4 miles beginning at mile 3 (subject to availability of roadside pullouts where an aid station may be safely placed complete off the road), stocked with a fun variety of snacks and goodies
- Hammer Nutrition HEED at every other aid station
- Great variety of snacks at the finish line including chocolate milk
- High tech disposable Chip Timing provided by Race Day Timing
- All participants who sign up before October 1st are guaranteed to receive a tech shirt or other event branded schwag
- Live DJ announcing your finish and playing music for a fun party atmosphere
- Finisher medals guaranteed to everyone who signs up before October 1st
- Awards to the overall male and female winner and top male and female finisher in each age division in the Marathon and Half Marathon
- A portion of every entry fee will be donated to charity. Learn more about our charitable causes.
There is no parking at any of the start lines. All runners MUST take buses or be dropped off at the start. Buses will leave from the Holiday Inn Express, unless otherwise announced. Expected boarding times: Marathon – 6am; Half Marathon – 7:45am. Any required changes will be posted here and at packet pickup. Buses will rotate between the finish line and the Holiday Inn Express as they fill.
Chip Timing & Results
Timing will be provided by Race Day Timing. Your race bib has a disposable timing chip on the back. Please don’t remove the chip. You must wear your bib pinned to the front of your shirt and on your outermost layer of clothing so it’s visible.
Contingent upon the availability of WiFi, preliminary results will be posted online in real-time. Please note: Based on USATF guidelines, overall results are based on “gun time,” meaning the actual race start time, not the time you ran past the start line. Age group results are based on “chip time,” meaning the actual time your chip registered at the start line. If you’re an elite runner and have expectations of winning or placing overall, please make sure you’re at the front of the pack at the start!
You may drop clothing in designated areas at the start lines. Although we make every effort to get your personal belongings back to you safely, Planet Ultra is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Under 24, 25-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+, 60+ for both men’s and women’s
Use the SignUp button to register online and pay with a credit card. To pay by check, download and mail in this form. Your form and check must be received by the last day of the earlybird period to take advantage of the discount. PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO VERY LOW PRE-REGISTRATION, we’re forced to host a more “no-frills” event. To avoid canceling the race (which many other organizers have done this year) we’re forced to forego the t-shirts/schwag and age group awards. We’re working to provide the best experience possible under these challenging circumstances; and thank you in advance for your understanding.
Recent Facebook Posts
Valley of Fire results posted here as a pdf. http://runplanetultra.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2015-Valley-of-Fire-Results.pdf
What a perfect day to race! Thanks to all who joined us today in the Valley of Fire State Park! Results will be online as soon as we can get..
Bib assignments for Saturday’s Valley of Fire race are here: http://runplanetultra.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Valley-of-Fire-Roster.pdf ..