October 28, 2018
Valley of Fire State Park Visitor Center
Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada
Saturday 5:45-6:15am at the Visitor Center Parking Lot in the Valley of Fire
Bib assignments will be posted a few days before the race.
Marathon Start Time
6:30 am, Pacific Standard Time
2017 Marathon Entry Fees*
$90 until 7/15
$105 from 7/16-11/8
$120 cash only thereafter
Entry fees are non-refundable. However, if you must withdraw from a race (due to an emergency or other unforeseen circumstances) please see our Cancellations and Transfers page.
*Does not include $10 per vehicle State Park Entrance Fee which is paid at the entrance gate race morning.
The Marathon route is basically a “double dare” – 2x the half marathon course, with a little dog-leg to add mileage, up the scenic drive in the middle of the park. The road will be closed to traffic for at least the first 4.5 hours of the race. This is a super tough route with lots of hills, both steep and rolling. Come prepared for a challenge – with spectacular views! Click here for a Valley of Fire State Park brochure which includes a map. Click here for a map and elevation profile of the half marathon on RideWithGPS.com. Please note that the online route is a little bit short because this program won’t allow us to mark the out-and-back section beyond the paved parking area on Fire Canyon Road. Total elevation gain is just under 3,000′ for the full marathon distance.
- The most incredible scenery you’ll ever encounter on a half marathon route
- Aid stations approximately every other mile beginning at mile 2, stocked with a fun variety of snacks and goodies
- Strictly enforced 5 hour time limit; with half marathon split time cut-off of 2 hours 15 minutes. You must be through the Half Marathon Finish line and running the 2nd half no later than 8:45am.
- Great variety of snacks at the finish line including chocolate milk
- High tech disposable chip timing provided by Race Day Timing
- All participants who sign up before October 31st are guaranteed to receive a race souvenir
- Fun party atmosphere with music at the finish line
- State Park restrooms along the race route
- Finisher medals guaranteed to everyone who signs up before October 28th
- Awards to the overall male and female winner. Age group awards in each division with at least 5 participants.
- A portion of every entry fee will be donated to charity. Learn more about our charitable causes.
Chip Timing & Results
Timing will be provided by Race Day Timing. Your race bib has a disposable timing chip attached to the back. Please don’t remove the chip. You must wear your bib pinned to the front of your shirt, on your outermost layer of clothing so it’s visible.
Because WiFi is not available in the Valley of Fire, results will be posted online within 24 hours of race completion. We thank you in advance for your patience. Please note: Based on USATF guidelines, overall results are based on “gun time,” meaning the actual race start time, not the time you ran past the start line. Age group results are based on “chip time,” meaning the actual time your chip registered at the start line. If you’re an elite runner and have expectations of winning or placing overall, please make sure you’re at the front of the pack at the start!
You may leave clothing in the designated area at the start line; however, we encourage you to leave valuables in your locked car. Planet Ultra is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
18 and under, 19-29, 30-39,40-49, 50-59, 60+ for both men’s and women’s
Driving Directions to Valley of Fire State Park Visitor Center – Event Start/Finish area
From the South: Drive North on Interstate 15. About 32 miles north of Las Vegas take exit 75 onto SR-169 towards Valley of Fire / Lake Mead. Drive about 18 miles on Valley of Fire Highway and you will park in the big wash area about 300 yards from the start/finish area across from the Visitor Center (a ranger and/or race volunteer will be directing you where to park).
From the North: Drive South on Interstate 15. About 26 miles south of Mesquite take exit 93 onto SR-169 towards Logandale / Overton. Turn left off ramp. Drive 20.1 miles and turn right onto SR-169 / Valley of Fire Highway. Drive 3 miles and you will park in the big wash area about 300 yards from the start/finish area across from the Visitor Center (a ranger and/or race volunteer will be directing you where to park).
Recent Facebook Posts
To help celebrate this wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving, until Friday at midnight, take 10% off your Death Valley Half Marathon & 10K entry..
We’re at the top of the list! <3
Who’s in? 😉
NEW Death Valley Half Marathon & 10K. Jan 6, 2018. Sign up today! http://www.RunPlanetUltra.com
Death Valley is truly a magical place. Join us January 6th for our half marathon or 10K and see for yourself. <3